Redesigning the Classroom

In a previous blog post here, I advocated for American high schools to reconsider how they go about a school day, leaving behind the “go to class A, then class B, then C, etc…” to a more varied approach that utilizes today’s technological advancements, allowing for a greater capacity to spread knowledge. Along with that idea, the classroom itself needs to go through a major overhaul as well. Ever sat in one of those desks these kids sit in for approximately 25 hours a week? If you’re a teacher, surely you have. And they’re awful. They really are the most uncomfortable seats you can design and not give the impression it is for a prison. But.. oh well, because it would costs millions (!) to replace them all, and that’s just one district. How many school districts are there? What to do?

Prioritize it. It does matter. Extensive studies have been done to determine if students learn better while seated in ‘comfort’, and the emphatic, statistically significant answer is “absolutely.” Prakash Nair, a modern school designer and major advocate for refurbishing all schools across America (and beyond) states in his essay, “The classroom is a relic, left over from the Industrial Revolution, which required a large workforce with very basic skills.” I’m not saying we should go all Google workplace or anything, but raising the level of comfort up from absolute cheapest possible chair wouldn’t be the worst decision we ever made. Create a classroom that invites discussion, creativity, and comfort, and I believe our students will respond with improved skills and execution

8 thoughts on “Redesigning the Classroom

1. Bobby,
    You bring up a great point. As a health and PE teacher, I have always been intrigued about getting stability balls in replace of chairs for my students. Stability balls could be a class management nightmare if not dealt with properly. However, would be beneficial for many reasons. 1) They make students more aware. It is difficult to fall a sleep in class when you have to balance your seat. 2) Sitting on the ball alone without doing any type of exercises works your core (from balancing). This gives students an opportunity to strengthen their core muscles without them even realizing it. 3) It can create more seating arrangements and open space. The balls can be used without desks, they can be put on a rack and out of the way to create open space if needed, and more. These are just a few reasons I feel stability balls would be of value in the classroom!

2. I do not like stackable wonder chairs (they are destructible – I have students who will gladly volunteer to show you how to do it). It seems like most school districts have invested in these torture devices. We have them in virtually every classroom and lab, I think the goal was to keep them affordably uncomfortable, so students would appear more attentive. Unfortunately the purchasing agent didn’t do any ergonomic studies or pay attention in their keyboarding classes to know one chair does not fit all.

Restructuring the classroom to foster collaboration and the influx of digital technology into the curriculum is past due. I agree that we, especially middle-schoolers, are not ready for the Google workplace, but we are in dire need of a makeover post haste!

• Wow, Cheronne, that is an impressive classroom. No reason that OSU could have such a facility and not the local middle/high school. If America is truly interested in and concerned about where our youth stands globally (and it’s not just lip service to appeal to a base or secure a few votes), then a change is essential. Thanks for commenting!

3. Hi Bobby:

I totally agree! Anytime we have PD and I am the student and I need to sit in the student seating it is awful. It’s hard enough to concentrate for students and the chairs only make it worse. I guess the real question is if you are going to replace them then what cuts do you make in the budget to accomodate for the price they will cost? At my school we are in the process of building a brand new campus and so over the past 3 years we have spread the cost of replacing all the furniture.

Bryan

• I’m jealous, Bryan, that you’re getting new furniture in the classroom. I had students go get a “free on Craigslist” couch last year for the back of my classroom. I should get 5 more. 🙂

4. Hi Bobby! I recently acquired a full set of stability balls for my room of 4th graders (teacher grant/hand me downs), and used around 10 with students last year. I LOVED having them in my room! I use one and will never go back to any type of chair. Not even the most plush, expensive, amazing office chair! It helps me sit up straighter, and lets me fidget. As long as your expectations on how to use them appropriately in class, they are a wonderful addition to the classroom. Easy to move to make new groupings, and they let them get their wiggles out in a non-distracting way (unless they are bouncing wildly all over the place-that’s where the expectation piece comes in, haha!). Sitting for long periods of time is so painful. I honestly really struggle with it, so why should I expect my students to sit in a hard, plastic chair all day? The only issues I’ve had are making sure we refill them every once in a while (takes some time) and having students accidentally pop them with their pencils. They do roll around rather freely, so I’ve started putting some fine sand in them before I air them up. Helps them stay slightly more put! 🙂 Great post!

• I’ve seen those chairs with sort of 3-inch ‘legs’ that hold them in place. Super comfortable. Thanks, Marne!