Time Magazine Interactive Graph (25 points)

Time Magazine just released their annual stats issue for our viewing pleasure. I asked you to look at these graphs and fine something about one of them that interests you. I’d like you to detail that here, if you don’t mind.

To complete:

1. Go to Time Magazine and research the interactive graphs

2. Post a comment to this blog that details which graph you found interesting, and why in just a few sentences.

14 thoughts on “Time Magazine Interactive Graph (25 points)

1. 1500 is the number of pb&j sanwiches will be consumed by a child before they reach high school.
    And then there is a sandwich in japan that has noodles in it

2. Okay so it’s not really an article but there’s one that gives you a link to those paper fortune tellers we all used to make and it was pretty generic, except for one of the answers was “Pizza Party”.

But also the movie one was really interesting because it is kind of funny how they just used IMDb tags that users put on movies, not like, a legitimate source or anything.

3. I read the article on safest/most dangerous places to live in case of a natural disaster. I thought it was interesting that the land locked states were the safest, I thought they’d be hit by tornadoes and severe storms more often than they were.

4. My favorite was the one with the dogs because i liked to look up all the dogs that come from the dogs, and the designer ones and debate which ones were the cutest. It gave you a circle of the popular dogs and then what designer dogs come from them on the outer banks of the circles.

5. I looked at the hobbies and I thought it was interesting because it was taken from the website meetup. Most of the interests put up on social networking sites are just suggested and clicked on by the user but not actually one of their interests so maybe that just started a trend like oh this many people clicked interested in this one subject we’ll just suggest it more. So ya.

6. I really liked the designer dogs one because it was crazy how many different combinations there were. It was also really fun to look up all the dogs with weird names and find out which dogs it came from.

7. My favorite article was about the dogs, because I enjoyed looking at all the links to different dogs! I found the article that talked about different fads that different cities had, interesting, because I don’t think that should necessarily define a city.

8. I read the graph about not getting heart cancer. I enjoyed it because it had those little medical “fun facts” which I love and it was super cool information.

9. I read the Most Dangerous Places to Live and I thought it was interesting because there were a lot more red/pink places highlighted (dangerous places) than there pale pink/white were (safe places). I didn’t like how it was all one color for danger because obviously all places are going to be subject to some kind of danger (earthquakes, floods, storms, tornados, ect). It would’ve been better if it used different colors to specify the different dangers and where.

10. I read the one about movies and I thought it was interesting that therewe re certain times of year when the most movies about thongs and cows came out. I also liked the one about America’s obsessions and how “angels”, “single Christians” and “atheism” are considered hobbies.

11. I looked at the ultimate list of pop stardom and two things really jumped out at me. First Mariah Carey is the number one star even above Elton John and The Beatles and Miley Cyrus is actually last on the list despite the unreal amount of publicity that she receives.