Generational Differences

When examining generational differences, one cannot ignore the idea of expectations. Digital nativists fully expect information to be passed on to them through technology. The very idea of unattainable information, or ‘lost’ events, songs, or moments are completely foreign to today’s digital youth. “Let’s look it up” is always an option to them in our minds, but to them it’s not an option; it is the way things are. They just do that, almost instinctively. We digital immigrants have unlearned (kinda) a previous behavior in order to norm this new behavior. We were taught to sit in a large group and listen to the instructor, and there was no other way to obtain this knowledge they were offering. We knew that, so therefore we acclimated to the situation necessarily. Today’s student is no different. They will acclimate to the classroom instruction as will be proven to be necessary. The basic means of the classroom instruction needs to continue to challenge the student to invest heart, mind, and body, but the instruction itself should shift and utilize this technology we now have. They expect it as such. It’s the world they know, the one that’s been modeled by… us (digital immigrants)! They only have this technology through our providing it to them.

So what to do? We as the instructors are unwilling (and rightfully so) to allow the student dictate the terms of what happens in the classroom (well, at least through the eyes of the student), but we do indeed have to allow these nativists the access to the technology that we have provided to them from the get-go.

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants – Part II: Do they really think differently? On the Horizon, 9(6). Retrieved fromhttp://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf

McKenzie, J. (2007). Digital nativism: Digital delusions and digital deprivation. From Now On, 17(2). Retrieved fromhttp://fno.org/nov07/nativism.html

Reeves, T.C. (2008). Do generational differences matter in instructional design? Online discussion presentation to Instructional Technology Forum from January 22-25, 2008 at http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/Paper104/ReevesITForumJan08.pdf

4 thoughts on “Generational Differences

1. Agreed, the expectations of today’s learners are different than previous generations. But do you think these learners are functionally different or is only because of their situation? I think if today’s learners didn’t have the technology of today, differences really wouldn’t be seen. As a librarian, that is why I emphasize being able to analyze the information students are so eager to look up. It seems that many of them think if it is on the internet it must be true. So regardless of what technological resources are available, students will always need teachers/guides/facilitators to help them sort out the information.

• Hi, Lynn. I don’t believe they’re functionally different, I believe what transpires in the classroom should adjust now that technology allows us to spread information out differently. They still need to be ‘taught’ what the suject/course offers, but with modern technology, we can have lectures made widely available and the class time be more investigative and applicable. I think I mean that we should adjust how we allow the student to gather the information. We’ve handed them these gadgets, they’ve responded by viewing the world differently, dare I say more efficiently, now we should respond to that by upping the ante in the classroom. Thanks!

2. I think you take an interesting perspective on this topic!
    But I must ask, what did you mean when you said, “They only have this technology through our providing it to them”?
    I couldn’t agree more that we need to challenge our students and I also believe we need to keep challenging ourselves too! We need to push beyond what we have known a classroom to be and see what it could be!

• The technology exists for the youth of today to utilize, but it’s not something they can afford. They (for the most part) need an accomodating adult to provide them with the necessary technology. I guess that comment was coming from the parent in me. I put the smart phone/iPad in her hands, so now what’ll happen? I should be prepared for the consequences. Thanks, Kim!